Connect with us


British bride stung by venomous fish on Mauritius honeymoon



British bride stung by venomous fish on Mauritius honeymoon
Photos: Times Now

A newlywed  British woman got stung by a fish that is considered to be among the world’s most venomous during her honeymoon in Mauritius. The victim has alleged that she was wrongly told that she did not need to take precautionary measures when stepping into the water.

The incident took place early this year in September, however, there is still no cure in sight.

According to a report in the Mirror, newlyweds Amy Thomson (27) and Callum Thomson (37) were enjoying their two-week honeymoon in the island when disaster struck during a snorkeling trip.

The woman has said that when she put on her sea shoes, she recalled being assured that there was nothing dangerous in the waters below and would not need them. 

British bride stung by venomous fish on Mauritius honeymoon
The stonefish has 13 spines along its back which release venom.

“We were all on the beach and I was between courses and I was quite hot so I wanted to go in for a swim. “I literally went to put my sea shoes on and the guy who was organising the trip said ‘no no no you don’t need those here.’ It was all sand so I listened to him and went in.”

However, the instant she dipped into the water without her footwear, she was stung by a stone fish – one of the world’s most venomous fish.

Though she remained on the trip for another hour, the new bride said she experienced the most “intense” pain she has ever felt in her life, and ended up visiting the hotel doctor.

She was then rushed to the hospital, where she spent the night.

British bride stung by venomous fish on Mauritius honeymoon

She added that as well as being put on a drip and being given morphine, she “stayed over in the hospital that night where I received anti-venom for the sting, I had fluids, morphine and later that night I had an incision down my foot where they squeezed the venom out.”

Upon returning to the UK the pain started to get worse. During their flight back home, the 27-year-old said, “On the flight home my foot blew up like a balloon and I am still suffering now.

According to Times Now, two months since the incident, Amy, from Lymington, Hampshire, is still searching for a cure for her pain.

“There is still no solution for it, I feel really down from it all because I am still suffering.”

Sources: The Mirror, Times Now

Spread the News
Continue Reading
Click to comment


  1. Joani

    06/12/2022 at 04:22

    There are many locals / fishermen who can remove the venom.

  2. Aneesh Shalom

    06/12/2022 at 06:14

    there is the remede in mauritius you asked a fisherman he will cure you feet with traditional method

  3. Dhoogesh Sonah

    06/12/2022 at 07:29

    The guy should have put some vinaigrettes on the foot and bring her to the hospital directly to have Anti venom injection

  4. Pooja Bhoonderowa

    06/12/2022 at 07:32

    Dnt worry u will be ok i also went same 3 years ago i also did a surgert and i was ok after 3 months your foot will remain swollen dir for about 2 months after that u will be ok

  5. Mongelard Francoise

    06/12/2022 at 08:52

    Tell her to come back here (Mauritius) we can cure ,the venom is still in her body i know someone in Mahebourg who can help .he did it for my grandson.

  6. Joseph Dowelson Fils Gontran

    06/12/2022 at 09:30

    The real cure for that is not in hospitals and doctors!I think that nobody told that lady also where to go to get the venom out and the treatment to heal that!I know two persons in the north,in Grandbaie who can manage with that successfully!Many people who get sting by stonefish went to see those 2 guys for treatment and get healed very quickly!

  7. Adrien Lolochou

    06/12/2022 at 10:03

    The solution is here in mauritius itself, i ws injured the otehr day of my engagement too, there’s a man in the south of mauritius who cure me.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *